Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Book of Secrets....gripe, moan and filler...

I love that movie National Treasure 2: The Book of Secrets. It's the usual mix of adventure, comedy and touches on interesting historical bits that I have yet to figure out whether even a smidge is true or not but for the moment am content with Nicholas Cage doing his bit for his country and family name ;o)

The *idea* of a book of secrets is intriguing.  Something that holds untold stories of scandal maybe? Not sure but what I want to know is this....is there a Book of Secrets for parents? I mean come on, there is obviously NO manual on childbirth and rearing and if I had just one question to ask of the book it would be this.

**Where the HELL is the switch that turns my children from angelic to demonic and HOW do they turn it on??!!**

As the title suggests, this is just a moan blog, a filler if you will.  I had a nice day with my kids yesterday.  Sofia was at school but when she got home she was well behaved, I made dinner whilst the two of the them played nicely and watched some tv together.  P was out at a works thing so after feeding them I took on the task of bathing them.  Mikey is at an age where if I leave him alone he could cause trouble (climbing, falling etc) so I bathed them both together whilst all the time praying they would be ok and behaving and guess what..they did...it was incredible.  No hitting, splashing, crying or anything!  We finished, dried off, got dressed and dried hair.

I believe they lulled me into a false sense of security.  It was over but how? I didn't even turn my back! The pretty smiles and swishy clean hair became gargoyles of naughtiness and foot stomping tantrums within a nano second.  Time slowed and instead of being in the arms of Nicholas Cage (ahem..), I was now walking alongside Keanu Reeves in Constantine where water slows to a drip..drip..drip...surrounded by fire and brimstone and nasty little hell creatures!

It took a further hour to get them to sleep.  I was nearly in tears with anger and upset.  Thoughts raged through my head of taking toys off them and no treats for a month and I too stomped my foot (metaphorically) until they slept.

Then I looked at them.  Pink cheeked and eyelashes fluttering whilst taking tiny breaths in the land of fairydust, rainbows and nice dragons.  The switch had been flipped again and I kissed them both gently.

Do you think Nicholas Cage would go on an adventure with me?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We've all been through it, tiredness and no Dad available to kiss them "Good Night" disturbed their routine, so they revolted.
It happens and can be so frustrating, but it doesn't mean they don't love their Mum; it just means it wasn't quite right. Plus Mum is trying too hard to be perfect - that state doesn't exist - I've gone back up & had to repair a bed before because they'd jumped on it and loosened the headboard - the crash had me running! But no harm was done. Kids are kids and if they were good all the time - I would be taking their temperatures! xx

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie, am now finally following - slack I know - silly mobile phones and their rubbish connections. Great blog by the way, and I can totally relate to this post. Our Youngling has a a habbit of keeping us up at all hours and then acts all sweet and angelic like butter wouldnt melt the next day. It's harder than I thought but at almost 2 years on I still wouldnt change a thing- well maybe just to have a little more sleep ;-) looking forward to more commenting xx