Thursday, January 27, 2011

How many babies?...

So this time last week, I became an auntie again!  I already have a nephew who is nearly seven years old but now have the tiniest, most cutest and delicate little niece with cheeks the size of tennis balls!!  Her brother finds her a wonder, wants to play football and Ben 10 games with her but has been told he has to have a little patience!  She is gorgeous, with lovely black hair and big big eyes, she is as serene as her name suggests and at the moment, she sleeps all the time!

I remember the stories my mother would tell me of when I was born.  Apparently my brother wanted a playmate to rough and tumble with.  We also have a big gap of six and a half years between us so when I did come into the world, he somewhat went into a mood with my mom and walked off!  Upon being asked why, he said "I asked for someone to play with, I want to play football and wrestle with, this baby is bald, tiny and can't even speak!"

I'm not sure how long it took him to understand that some babies are indeed born with little hair and small but some thirty odd years later, we get on quite okay ;o)

For my two there is only a gap of two and a half years between them.  I get a little jealous when I hear that my sister in law takes my nephew to school and only has a tiny baby to deal with when I had a period of time tearing my hair out with two babies and trying to potty train the eldest just after Mikey was born.  (I was supposed to train her earlier but I quickly became very heavy and big and couldn't do anything!).  I felt the days go by in a haze of hectic madness trying to keep two fairly young ones from being bored and possibly killing each other.  Now of course that Mikey is just over two, Sofia is in school and life is alot easier to manage!

We originally had wanted a gap between the two children we had *planned*.  We thought four or five years would be good and I would still be under forty so any possible issues with health might just be okay.  Obviously the plan didn't go down very well but looking back and now seeing my sister in law with a seven year old and a new born, I don't envy her and I'm really glad things turned out the way it did.  I don't think I could have coped with the sleepless nights and all the other issues surrounding young babies when I had my eldest at a stage where my personal freedom was so much.

Don't get me wrong, it works fabulously for other people and I think it's great and wholly admire anyone who can have more children at whatever stage! However for someone like myself with very little physical or mental stamina, it's worked out just right for me when I sit and think lucidly about it.

My mother went to a fortune teller the other day.  Whether or not you believe, she told my mom some freaky things.  One being that she's just about to become a grandmother again or that she has already become a grandmother but she sees one more grandchild at some point. 

My sister in law is adamant she will not have anymore (she doesn't know about the fortune teller's prediction).  I scream inside my head and shout no, no, NO it will NOT be me.

It will NOT be me.




3 comments:

Scottish Mum said...

I soo hear you. I had three under three at one point, and it was really hard work. I couldn't face another baby stage. Being a grandmother and being able to hand the next babies back after a few hours is how I see the next babies in my family....

Unknown said...

Oh, love - you'll be surprised at what you can cope with. I had 4 in four and a half years!
What young mums need is mental stimulation, chatting to others & a bit of support at home.
Life is never what you plan & has a habit of slapping you in the face, so always hope for the best but prepare for the worse. Just keep doing what you are doing and don't expect it or you to be perfect - 'cos none of us ever are - despite what the mags or TV says.

MommaLeila said...

Scottish_Mum I can't even begin to imagine having any more to deal with!! 3 under 3!!! I really do take my hat off to you!!! xxx

Pat...perfect went out of the window ages ago lol!...*hugs*